October 16, 2013

A 'DALE-IGHTFUL' DAY OUT














Nar then. This week I'll be boring you all with details of my day out in Lisa Stansfield country, where I journeyed last Saturday to watch my second team (what?), Rochdale AFC as they played host to League Two newcomers Newport County at a cold, windswept and rainy Spotland. Just as real football supporting men like it. I did cheat slightly, however. I wore a scarf. 



I don't think I need to explain why Rochdale are my second team (what?). But I will anyway, because everybody knows I like to pad out these reviews with plenty of filler. Speaking of which, here's a photo of another sign... 










So why Rochdale? Well, as any passionate Tarn supporter will know, the connections between both clubs are very strong and for the last few years especially have been very relevant. 

When the BFC board eventually convinced Dale manager Keith Hill to succeed Mark Robins at Oakwell on June 1st 2011, it set off a chain of events that have intertwined both clubs and particularly both sets of supporters ever since. 

Joining Keith in crossing the Pennines were most of his backroom staff, including his highly-rated number two and best friend David Flitcroft. 
A quarter of a million pounds was spent on Dale favourites Matty Done and Scott Wiseman. Whilst former Spotland spoiler David Perkins soon followed. 

Since that Summer of 2011, a whole host of former Dale stars have turned up at Oakwell. So many in fact, that I'll probably forget someone when trying to name them. But here goes... 


David Button, Kelvin Etuhu, Tom Kennedy, Chris Dagnall, Kallum Higginbotham and Chris O'Grady. 


We also had Scott Hogan on trial, who appeared in a couple of pre-season fixtures in the Summer of 2012. 


Many remain with us to this day. Most were written off before kicking a ball for us. Some became heroes. Some became villains. One became player of the year. Another will soon become an international footballer. For Gibraltar. 


We should also remember, that during the same period, Dale have had some of our former laikers, too. Well, just the two actually. David Lucas, and Daniel Bogdanovic. 





Daniel Leagueonovic, whilst at Dale, in League One




Back in May of 2011, I was one of very few Tarn supporters on our forum to throw my weight behind Keith as the perfect man to replace Robins. 

It was also around that time that I joined the Dale forum. I did so in an attempt to get their views on Keith and his managerial qualities etc. However, and as you can imagine, their forum wasn't a pleasant place to be back then. Especially for visiting Barnsley fans. 

They were resigned - again - to losing their 'bright young manager' - again - to Barnsley. 

A decade previously, our club lured Steve Parkin to Oakwell. He didn't last long, as we were relegated to the third tier during a disastrous period for the club and its fans, where our season in the Premier League and subsequent overspend came back to bite us on the arse as we headed into administration with the help of ITV Digital. Dark days. 


So it's safe to say I wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms on their forum that Summer. 


But I've stuck around ever since. Checking in from time to time. Rarely agreeing with them, just as they often disagreed with me. 


Of course, the dismissal of Keith last December, and the appointment of his assistant Flitcroft reinvigorated our discussions. And then the second coming of Keith really ramped things up. I gave them stick, they gave it me. But the connections, the things we had in common I feel eventually settled down our opinions of each other, and we've been pretty much on each others side now for most of 2013. 


Not that it's all lovey dovey. I still think from time to time they enjoy educating/patronising me. Just as I do them. We all like to be right, don't we? Although I do shake my head at times, folk take the internet far too seriously. 



But through it all, I've really grown to admire some of the Dale lot on that forum. And in particular, '442Dale', or Matt as he's known on his birth certificate (Matthew, probably but let's just run with it). 

And so after realising that Dale were at home during the international break, I arranged with Matt to meet up for the game. I live in Bradford as some of you will know, and getting to Rochdale from here is pretty simple by train. And quite cheap. So that was the plan for Saturday.. 

























Unfortunately, I was an hour later into Rochdale than I'd expected to be. Bradford city centre was the scene for the EDL's latest demonstration in how to be a racist moron. The whole city was in lockdown. The pubs were shut. Well, all bar one, which the EDL morons were allowed to drink in. And more crucially for me, the interchange was cordoned off and surrounded by hundreds of Police officers drafted in from all over the country. 


Apparently, as I was later told, this demo was well publicised. However, working the shift pattern that I do, I tend to miss a lot of news. I've only just found out that Jimmy Savile has been knighted. Ahem. 


I had five minutes to run for the train, and like the true optimist that I am (what??) I ran like Wiseman towards the cordoned off entrance hoping my wit and charm would see me alright and that our boys in blue/hi-vis would allow me through. Aye, oreight.. 

"you can't come through here" said the burly copper as he grabbed me by the arm. 

"I'm just getting the train" I replied. 

"not through here you're not" the fat copper said, as three of his plump colleagues joined him. 

"but I'm going to the match, my train's due right now.." I offered up, with sad eyes. 

"you'll have to go around then" was the latest response from the hefty copper. 

"I'll miss my train. Can't you just let me through? I mean, do I look like EDL?" I said. 

"you look like Doctor Who" was the witty reply from one of the other chubby coppers. 

"you mean I look like 'The Doctor' actually, you don't say 'Who', that makes no sense... but seriously, I've probably missed the train now. F***ing EDL morons" said I, looking like The Doctor. 

"there's no need to start swearing at me, I suggest you go around the other way or you'll be arrested" said the rotund copper who had originally stopped me. 


And so off I ran again.. 

"run, Doctor, and good luck" said the witty porker as they laughed at me running in the opposite direction like a young Darren Sheridan. 



Obviously, I missed that train. So had to wait for the next one which would - all being well - get me into Rochdale for around 2.15pm. Which it did, thankfully. And from there I took a taxi to the stadium, and met up with Matt in the Ratcliffe Bar. A bar that sits in the stadium. 

I also met another two of the lads off the Dale forum, 'Maybee' and 'roccydaleian', as well as Ian's young lad. And after the customary greetings and handshakes, I told them how impressed I was with the bar we were in. 

They played down how impressive it was, which says a lot about me and my CHAMPIONSHIP CLUB, who have only just started to serve warm beer from cans in the bloody home end. 

Because I was strapped for time, and busy gassing/drinking I failed to take any photos of the bar which is one of my deep regrets from the day. Because I can't put into words just how good a facility it is. However, if you click 'HERE' you'll be taken to their website which does include a few interior photos of the venue. So if you picture that, but with home and away supporters, parents and children etc, all enjoying a pre-match drink etc, you'll get the idea. 

Plenty of different lagers/beers on tap. I went for a San Miguel, at just over £3 a pint which went down nicely. 

It's open every matchday, from 12pm until 7pm, and being a part of the stadium it's just perfect. As I found out when we made our way to our seats which took us less than 2 minutes. 

The photo I took, a bit further back up the page, are of the match ticket that Matt acquired for me, big thanks for that, can't grumble at paying a tenner. I was made to feel like a VIP. 










I'll return to the Rochdale version of a 'matchday experience' and why it both impressed me and infuriated me, a little later on. But for now, there was a match, and here's my thoughts on that.. 


The lads filled me in on the starting lineup and possible shape etc, and I was obviously disappointed to learn that neither Hogan or Done were playing, although the latter did make the bench. 

Dale lined up with Josh Lillis in goal; a back four of Joe Rafferty, Jack O'Connell, Oliver Lancashire (c) and Michael Rose; a midfield four of Matt Lund, Jamie Allen, Gary Dicker and Peter Vincenti; with Graham Cummins and Ian Henderson up top. 

Now, for me, it did look like a 4-4-2 as they prepared to start the game. But as the match got going it seemed to me at least that Dicker was dropping deep and at times looked like a third centre half, which allowed both O'Connell and Lancashire to play out from the back. The full backs looked more like wing backs, Henderson seemed to spend a lot of time out wide rather than central, and young Allen looked to be playing further forward, very similar to the role that Jacob Butterfield fulfilled for us under Keith. 

I'm not a regular, though, and these are mere observations from just nineties minutes viewing. But from my point of view, Keith's 2013 Dale vintage looks a very fluid one, with each player looking comfortable in various areas of the pitch. He was always one for utility players. He had ten of them on Saturday. 










The early exchanges were pretty even, but pretty nondescript. But already clear to see was the huge amount of free space in the centre of the park, which Dale exploited in the main due to their quality of movement and neat/short passing. 

And it was in the centre of the park where a header clear from County defender Ismail Yakubu fell to Vincenti some 50 yards from goal. The number seven controlled the bouncing ball with one touch of his right boot, before unleashing a piledriver of a half-volley with the same peg from probably 40 yards out that went in off the inside of the post to give Dale the perfect start and a 1-0 lead. 


They could have doubled their lead when good work down the right from Rafferty and Henderson released Cummins who after a couple of step-overs as he approached the edge of the box seemed to take too long and his eventual weak shot was deflected safely through to Newport keeper Lenny Pidgeley. 


The away side did threaten a couple of times after that, with Robbie Willmott at the heart of anything good they did. The winger did well to find Chris Zebroski on the edge of the box and after a tussle with O'Connell he fired a tame shot in that was easily gathered by Lillis. 

Shortly afterwards, a Willmott inswinging free kick nearly found Harry Worley's head at the far stick but it wasn't to be as he was well marshalled by the Dale defence. 

And a Lee Minshull header spooned just over Lillis' bar. But other than that, it was a comfortable first half for Dale. A Rose free kick from 25 yards flashed just wide of the left hand post. And then, with just under ten minutes remaining in the first half came a wonderful team goal that did indeed give the home side a deserved two goal lead. 


It was good football wide right, with Vincenti pulling the strings, and after playing some neat one-touch passing through midfield the ball reached Lancashire who had come forward from defence and he played a great through ball down the right that Henderson controlled brilliantly before slipping in the onrushing Rafferty whose cutback found Allen and after his shot from close range came back off the crossbar, there was Cummins who after controlling the ball rifled it low into the opposite corner. 

I looked at Keith, and saw/heard him say "now that's a f*****g goal!" 

And it was.

It was a joy to watch. I really didn't want the half time whistle to come. 





The smile says it all..




There was a Newport claim for a penalty waved away by possibly the most clueless referee I've ever seen in charge of a professional game. He was no Gary Willard, or Darren Deadman etc. He wasn't biased, or a b*****d. He was just not up to it. He'd make one bizarre decision, then to try level it up, make another. And another. He was so far behind play at times (Dale were hard to keep up with, to be fair..) it was laughable. 


There was still time for another breathtaking attacking move from the men in blue and black. Some tidy one-touch football at the back, and a superb first time pass - under pressure - into midfield by Rafferty found Dicker and he layed it off to Vincenti who stroked it into Allen, centrally, who slipped a great ball through for Lund, but his shot from just inside the box was saved well at the second attempt. 

That man Vincenti forced Pidgeley into another save late on, but 2-0 it stayed as we entered the break, and I made my way back towards the bar area. As I did so, being a smoker, I wondered if there was a smoking area. I was in luck. There was a proper smoking shelter in place. Not like the 'smoking areas' at Oakwell. Which I don't need to describe to you. These were out of the way, and comfortably big enough to cater for many. Not only that, there was another entrance/exit to the Ratcliffe right next to them. So I decided to go buy myself another drink before returning to the shelter to smoke/drink. 

All the while, thinking, "why can't our club provide these facilities?" 









It was approaching the end of half time, and folk began to sup up, put out their fags and return to the stands. It was all done so simply. I left my empty glass on the bar, thanked the lady for her service and made my way to the toilets, which were just your usual toilets. Nothing fancy. Nothing like the West Stand Bogs. Unfortunately. 

I wonder if my sticker is still there... 








"Dad! There's a man who looks like Doctor Who taking photos of himself in the bog. He's got stickers as well." 


The above didn't, but could have happened. 




I then made my way back to my seat, after a text message from Matt asking me if I'd gone home. He said "come back, it's just like watching Brazil, maybe". 


And it had been. In a fashion. 

The fluidity of the Dale lineup was refreshing to see. They had on paper, two central midfielders on the flanks. Sound familiar? However, it worked for them. They controlled the middle of the park from front to back. The full backs could then push on, and the likes of Allen, Henderson and Cummins were just too technically adept for the Newport bruisers to handle. 

Which brings me onto my only negative comment.. 

Newport were gash. Like, Sunday League gash. I am absolutely amazed that Minshull in particular is making a living at this level of football. But you can only play what's in front of you, and play them off the park is what the hosts did, from start to finish. Especially in the second half. 





King Keith, still rocking the Barbour, still bald, and still barmy





One of my main objectives when deciding to take this trip was to hopefully get a photo with King Keith. I even emailed Rochdale the week before to ask them if it was possible. I never received a reply and I'm not going to knock them for that because there could be endless reasons for it. 
But it was a shame, and so this is as close as I dared get to him. 
I'll succeed, next time. 



Anyway, ten minutes into the second half and after Rafferty capitalised on a defensive mistake, Henderson slipped in Lund whose fierce shot was brilliantly tipped round the post by Pidgeley. It was a great save from a keeper who was once on the books at Chelsea. 


From the resulting corner, Cummins somehow stabbed wide from 6 yards out. He ought to have scored, to be honest. But it was relentless stuff from Dale. 

A deep cross from Lund from the left nearly found the late arriving Allen, but he couldn't stretch enough to make contact. 

But a minute or so later and after an aimless long ball found it's way through for the visitors, Conor Washington was bearing down on goal only to be thwarted by what looked a great sliding tackle by O'Connell. However, the referee thought otherwise (he was 50 yards behind the play, again) and pointed to the spot. A lifeline for County? 


It was at this point I turned to Matt and said "he'll save this, Lillis, thee watch" 


Lillis saved it, with his legs, and justice was done. 





Bastien Hery wheels away in celebration after notching Dale's third




Dale wrapped the game up soon after, when Vincenti robbed his defender in his own box, before unselfishly feeding substitute (former Wednesday laiker) Bastien Hery who cheekily rounded the keeper before slotting home for 3-0. 


It could have been four when another great ball from (I think) Lancashire found Henderson inside the box on the angle, but his dinked effort over the advancing keeper was denied by the base/inside of the post. It was a lovely effort, from a player who looks far too good to be playing at this level. But then, so did Lund, Lancashire, O'Connell, Dicker and in particular Rafferty and Vincenti. But as I said earlier, these are the observations of a neutral (kind of) after just one match of viewing. And, the lads tell me that Rafferty and Vincenti haven't ever played that well prior to that game. So, what do I know? 


A 30 yard drive from Lund was heading for the top corner before a great save from Pidgeley denied him. And Vincenti flashed another volley wide. But by now the away side had pretty much given in, and Dale were footballing them to death, toying with them, and the rather quiet atmosphere from early on was now a little more enthused. 


Full time: Rochdale 3-0 Newport 

Attendance: 2,530



My match ratings: 


Lillis 8; Rafferty 9, O'Connell 8, Lancashire 8, Rose 7, Dicker 7, Lund 8, Allen 7, Vincenti 10, Henderson 9, Cummins 7. 






My man of the match, Vincenti applauds the fans




It was the most comprehensive 3-0 you'd ever see. 9-0 would have been a fairer reflection of how one-sided a contest it was. In fact, it wasn't a contest. 

Yes, it was just one game. Yes, the opposition were very poor. But that Dale team will be far too good for most other clubs in this division, and I would be astonished if they fail to at least make the playoffs. They'd even prosper in the division above, on this showing. 




We then made our way up to the players bar, and had a couple of pints whilst discussing the match and Dale's expectations going forward. It was there that I also met another couple of lads from the Dale forum, in 'TVOS' and 'DYSporting'. The latter is the club photographer and was performing his duties as that's where they held the man of the match presentation. 






Matt Lund receiving the award for sponsors MOTM



I got Matt to ask Peter Vincenti if he'd have his picture taken with me, and he kindly did so. However, the photo came out horrifically (for me) as I seem to resemble someone else. It looks nowt like me, and more like some kind of Alien. I blame Matt. Of course. 

I won't be including that photo. Soz.



I have to say, though, Vincenti was as polite a footballer I've ever met. And he was also my man of the match, and the Dale player I'd most like to see make that well travelled journey over the Pennines to Barnsley. 




I thoroughly enjoyed my day out. I spent it in the company of good people. Passionate supporters of another small town club up North. Another club trying to do things the right way both on and off the field. 

The facilities are exceptional for a club in that division. You have to say that division four is Rochdale's level. Traditionally. Just as ours is the second tier. Traditionally. But we could be in the same tier next season. Easily, on the evidence I've seen after 10 weeks of this season. In fact, If I was a betting man...

But the setup over there is primed for them to become a regular a division up the footballing food chain. They just have to hope, I suppose, that when Keith takes them up again, that he ignores that notorious ambitious streak of his, and sticks around. He's got a job for life there. And when you look at the likes of Yeovil and Doncaster, no bigger than Rochdale in my opinion, who is to say they couldn't reach the second tier for the first time? 

The problem as always will come down to money. Just as it does for our club when dreaming of merely escaping the bottom half of our own division. And also, backing in numbers from the locals. 

I'm not sure of the population of Rochdale the town. Similar I would suggest to Barnsley though, a couple of hundred thousand? But they were only getting gates of between 2,500 and 7,000 in their first season back in the third tier under Keith. I'm guessing the bigger gates were swelled by away supporters, such as Wednesday etc. 

That's sad, to be honest. But I am sure there are many mitigating circumstances. 

But can they attract bigger gates? Because I think they'd need to, if they're to keep progressing. And, to keep Keith and some of the players that will no doubt catch the eye of many a club higher up the pyramid. 

We have the same issue, I suppose. Our gates are some of the lowest in our division. However, we know we could regularly attract at least another 5,000 if we're doing well. And, were we to be right up at the top, we've thousands more waiting to jump on the bandwagon. 

Unfortunately, we have been unable to either field a good product for the last few years, or, unable to hold onto one. And our lapsed supporters are that way because, the cost to watch us scrape to survival each year is harder and harder to justify, in what are tough economic times. And I am sure it's no different for Rochdale. But, the product over there is from what I can gather, very very good. And, deserves to be supported better. 






Vincenti's screamer




Coming away from Spotland (I got a lift to the station with Matt, his missus and his lovely kids) I felt something I don't feel at all when I attend Oakwell. That I mattered. That the club cared. 

So often over the last few years I've left Oakwell thinking "do I matter to them?" 


Far from it, at Rochdale. 

I cannot emphasise enough just how important and easy to implement a proper supporters bar would be. And I'm not talking about that bloody Preedy's thing that's far too small, and charges you before you've even bought owt. 

I'm talking about a proper bar. Large enough to cater for many. Where you pay at the bar for your drink/food etc. Where there are large screens showing SkySports etc. Tables, seating, a smoking area outside of it. Staff. Lots of. All treating you as part of the furniture, part of the club. Not just a customer. 

I know some of us suggest we're quite happy to drink in the pubs in town. And I am. I enjoy it. But having experienced Spotland and the Ratcliffe, I'd much prefer that thank you very much. Open from 12 until 7pm. Only stops serving during both halves of football. All puts money - if done correctly by good businessmen/women - back into the club. 

If it works at League Two Rochdale, then why couldn't it work here, for us? 

And yes, I'm fully aware that not everybody wants a drink or food at the match. But many do. 

I'm also aware that you could have a fair bit of the experience I've outlined above, by paying out of your backside to sit in the executive boxes or whatever. Some do. Fair play to them. But not many do. 


We've a supposedly bright young forward thinker of a CEO, now. The worst he could do would be to take a trip to Spotland on a matchday and see what I'm banging on about. Hell, Flicker could take him. He was 'rumoured' to be there on Saturday as well. But there were no sightings of him. I was hoping to see him and Keith walk into the players bar, holding hands or summat. Shame. 



I'll end this edition of the blog by thanking all the lads I met on Saturday. I was even joined on the train home by 'TVOS', bless him, and we had a good old natter about both RAFC and BFC, as well as dodging train fares... 

Matt, you were the perfect host, and it was fantastic to meet you, and Ian. We'll do it again, probably in the New Year. A 3rd Round FA Cup tie against Barnsley at your place sound good? 

Oh, and a quick mention to Taylor (Matt's young lad) who seems to think Peter Vincenti - and not Peter Capaldi - is to be the next Doctor Who. 

It's 'The Doctor', actually. And Taylor, stop being mental. Everybody knows that I AM THE DOCTOR! 

Ask those flabby Policemen. 








If you want to connect with your Rochdale cousins, you can do so by logging on to RochdaleAFC.com, by clicking 'HERE'

Up The Dale! 










I'll hopefully be back and blogging sometime before the big Yorkshire derby against Wednesday, but in the meantime let's hope this weekend against Butterfield's Boro we can kick-start our climb up the table and head into the Xmas period looking up, instead of over our bloody shoulders. 



Up The Tarn! 






The Doctor

4 comments:

  1. Geoff Thomas played for both too.../

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good piece whitey enjoyed that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good article. Glad you enjoyed your time at the Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perkins played for both teams, I enjoyed the article and after watching Dale for 73 years I feel part of the club, and any success we have is much more enjoyable than supporting United or City, even though it does not come very often!

    ReplyDelete